Thread: To all map creators - technical issues

Default To all map creators - technical issues

A lot try to get maps done as fast as possible. While that is useful for harvesting the glory of being the first to post the map, it has side effects.

The fast way to create maps is the dreaded Automapping.

Point #1 : Map size / Number of lines

If the map is too large, parts of the map will not be shown unless you zoom in.
    A glaring example of that is Katta Castrum. I DLed an automapped version of that one and its over 3 MB in size. 40.000 lines. No joke.

Point #2 : Clarity

On the afforementioned map, a lot of wall-coloured lines designate roads which pose no obstacle.
    You can walk through these "walls".

On already cluttered maps like cities you should omit useless lines like roads.
    On open/empty maps like karana such roads are useful because they provide points of reference.

Katta also has a lot of height levels.
    In many places you can jump down to the next level but not back up.
    Representing those lines as walls is not helpful.
    They should be there but in a different colour.

In City maps like this it is not helpful to map out every small pillar, pebble, and tree.
    For dungeon / inside maps it is also not necessary to map out all 20 pillars protruding into the room. 4 lines and the room is represented.

If the map is filled with white noise to the point of you being unable to see which way to go from A to B then the map has failed.

Point #3 : Enlarging Landmarks

Again, Katta is a good example.
    Accurately mapping the gates in the walls leads to them being so small they are nearly invisible.

Look at a large scale roadmap. Measure the width of a road, do the math. This road is 100-200 m wide at least.
    If it was shown in accurate scale it would be invisible or a very very fine line.

In Katta, the gate gaps have to be shown at least 3-4 times as wide as they really are.

This is also very important for dungeon maps that typically have small doorways.

Yes. That means deliberately making your map inaccurate.
    The only ones who might have a problem with that are Macroquest users who might not be able to use this map for their bots. Cry me a river.

Point #4 : Colour Scheme

I don't want to argue if a transparent map window is better or worse.
    Some prefer a solid background, others (like me) transparent.

It matters for the colour scheme, though. EQ typically has dark graphics so on a transparent window you need bright colours to see the lines.
    With the default (bright) opaque background image you need dark lines.
    There is no solution to that other than providing 2 identical maps with different colour schemes. It won't work with the Mapfiend rating system and such so I guess it's only wishful thinking.

However, the important thing is to stick to ONE colour scheme.
    Walls always in the exact same colour, height lines, water lines.
    I use 2-3 colours for walls myself where rooms overlap on the Z-axis.
    And even though it's not pretty, any impassable section is a wall. Who cares if it's a window or fancy force field.
    You can't go there and you look at maps to find out things like that.

As long as the WHOLE map uses clearly defined RGB colours everyone can recolour it to their liking.
    Simple search&replace operation with a text editor.

Don't take me wrong.
    I DO appreciate the hard work of map creators but I wish they would use less of that crappy Automapping and more thought on scale and clarity. =)

I am currently creating a new Katta Castrum map from the ground up but since the server went down I took the time to vent a bit. Maybe it will even do some good. =)

BTW: I sign my maps with the compass rose that you may have seen on some LDON maps. The green spikes denote positive /loc and the red spikes negative.
    Even ornaments like this can add information. =)

Orra Waaargh
    Last edited by Pand; 08-15-2007 at 06:28 AM.

It is what it is.

I brought this up with the EQDevs at Fan Faire. There is a hard limit on the number of points in a file. They will be looking at this and hope to fix it.

I asked that they look at the auto-mapper so that it does not make as many points on straight lines. Hopefully they can resolve both issues.

Default Contrasting Map Colors

The maps are a huge benefit. Thank you to those who do the work.

I find it difficult to see colors that do not contrast well against the fake parchment background color. It is not difficult to edit each map offline to search and replace all those white, yellow and red lines with plain old black. I am taking that approach and may finish in my life time. But that is a daunting approach considering there are 200 plus maps and 3 .txt files per map. Also, updates will make my approach pointless.

Is there a program that will search through all the map files and replace colors -- e.g. search for 255, 255, 255 and replace every instance in all those *.txt files with 0, 0, 0?

I too vote for standard colors. ALL TEXT should be black and in the LARGE font. All hard boundaries should be black. How about dark blue for others. White, yellow and light green could be banned entirely.

Someone has probably already figured out a way. Please share.

Thanks

It is what it is.

Some people have blue backgrounds. Some have black. Some have transparent. They make the map for themselves and they make them whatever color they want.

There are tools out there that will load the map and change every color in the map to whatever color you want and it takes about 3 seconds. Search for Mappie.

Default how to use the efw file

I used to download maps and get a zip file, now I get an efw file....what is that and how can I get the "all" map pack in zip format to put in my map file in EQ????? HELP

Thread Information