Stewy wrote:

Dev-Ngreth wrote:

Stewy wrote:

Dev-Ngreth wrote:

Unfortunately those drops go by RACE not NPC name (I actually have no way to go by NPC name). I have no control over what other designers name their NPC's.

There is a new model that is being used, and I may need to add that new model, but I will not be able to add lots of races to that table because it is already a mess.

It is too late for me to do it for the patch coming Wednesday. It will have to wait until next patch.
Well I find lots of inconsistencies in the RACE tag. There are tons of things that are animals or golems/constructs that are not flagged as such for purposes of drops. In other words there's many things that the *summoned* nukes work on which do not drop ore/loams, and many more animals that do not drop marrow/pelts.

But the NAME of the mob wasn't my point, just the vehicle to point out the problem with the system. The point was that these "golems" were as obvious a construct as one could get and they didn't fit into the racial drop model. The world is full of animals and constructs not flagged to drop their specific TS item. And if the Racial Table is such a mess, what does that say about the future?

If the Racial table is such a mess and the other dev's keep creating new races, that you then can't add races due ot the table being messsy, then there seems to be a major flaw in the system developed. I'm sorry to criticize, but tradeskillers rely upon drops, and major avenues to gain the TS items are closed off because of the lack of animals/spiders/constructs or the lack of their race being added to a table. This problem is emphasized by the fact that obvious animals/constructs that are not on the racial table then drop NONE of the TS items. See the frogs and/or the crystalline mobs in Warrens. Or how about the entire robot population of SoF? as quick examples.

I think in it's essence the *racial drop* idea was a good one, but it relies upon the other dev's making races of a specific type to be effective, and as you said you have no control on what the other dev's do, so how do you keep a a steady logical supply of TS items flowing into the world? If Ukun's and Kyv's are humanoids, then how aren't frog's animals? And if it is too onerous/messy to keep up with the system, then maybe the system has failed?

edit: fixing typos
It is what we have, and better than other options.
I have alot of respect for you Ngreth - but WTH kind of response was that?
the truth?

You wanted a lie? Or is it that you required a line by line response?

But here is a bit more.

there is a "race" field and a "body type" field on NPC.

for the "humanoids" I just use the bodytype.

For the "fur bearing animals", " golems" , ang "silk bearing insects" there is no "body type" that works

animals encompasses more than fur bearing animals

construct encompasses more than golems

insect encompasses more than silk bearing insects

so for these, I use RACE. Race is also the model you see of an NPC. each model is its own "RACE". So I have to specify each race. This starts to get complex as more and more is added, so I limit it somewhat.

There has been the addition of new races that fit "golem" but I did not think to add them to the tables, and I plan to do so. But I am also not going to add everything that might at some point be named "a golem" by another designer.

More...