Gidono wrote:

You missed the point. I don't care about titles and I don't care about the crappy loot from the dragons. However the point of a new server is to start everyone off on even footing. This is the one of the main reasons why competitive people want to play on a new server.
Of course that's true. So I suppose we shouldn't let anyone log in until I get off work tomorrow, so that they don't get so many hours head start on me. And of course we should hold it off until the east coast folks have time to get home from work too. And make sure that we don't open it before the Australlians have a chance to get home from work...

Sounds like we'll have to hold off opening the server until there's a world-wide, week-long holiday.

Folks at Fan Faire had at most 8 hours of play time. They had to play in our game room, and that was only open for about 8 hours total after the server opening for them.

I'm sorry that everyone can't make it to Fan Faire, for all the varied reasons. But the folks that do get some stuff that other players probably won't (like meeting Larry Elmore, which is pretty cool too). Those that don't go also don't have to put up with some of the stuff that happens at Fan Faire (pink t-shirts...). I'm sorry if that makes anyone unhappy, but we think it's a nice bonus that doesn't cause any harm. In this case there will be a lot of folks (like me) that won't get to log in the moment Mayong opens due to whatever limitations exist in their lives. It will certainly not be fair to everyone, expecting it to be so is unrealistic.

Fan Faire is fun. It's a way for us to connect with folks in person that we never hear from otherwise. As developers we want as many people as possible to show up and ask us their questions in person, so we can explain them without having to deal with the issues of text communications. Offering fun rewards is one way to do that, though realistically I don't think that's why people go to Fan Faire. They go to meet guild mates and friends from all over that they rarely get to see in person.

All I can say is that perhaps this isn't as serious of an issue as you think it is, and that for everyone that feels slighted by this, I'm sorry that you feel that way. But we thought, and still think, that it was a good and fun thing to do.

A

More...