Thread: Any interest in an automatic map patcher?

Default Any interest in an automatic map patcher?

I'm fiddling around with the idea of creating an automatic map patcher application for EQ and was curious what people here would think about the idea.

Some preliminary questions:
    -Would it be something you personally would use?
    -Would TPTB at this site support such an idea?
    -What features would you want out of this application?

Default Questions

I am not speaking for the "Site". I will give my opinions on it though.

That could go one of two ways imo.

1. It would help solve several issues with people and installing maps.

2. It would create a whole new set of issues involving the application.

Some questions I would pose to you are:

What code would you write it in?

Would the source code be made available to examine?(holes/malicious ware etc)

Overall I think it is a great idea. Least one worth talking about anyway. As far as features go, I will have to think about that and get back to you.

I started a thread on this over on the SOE forums which can be found here since those forums are a bit more lively.

There will invariably be a couple hiccups along the way of rolling the app out, which is why I want to get this done long before a new expansion comes out so when the masses come looking, it would be ready for prime time. This isn't my first rodeo though, as I am a software engineer by trade.

My intention is to make this an open source project of some sort. I want to do the open source for two reasons 1) nobody should blindly install software from an untrusted source and 2) you never know when I'm going to get hit by a bus, quit playing eq and not want to maintain it, etc.

It will invariably be written in C# targeting .NET Framework 3.5 because that's my preferred language and what I code in every day. The added benefit is that anybody can download VS 2008 Express Edition for C# for free.

It is what it is.

We'd have to talk about it. I can't have an app generating thousands of gigs of traffic on this server. PM or email me.
    Last edited by Fatal; 06-24-2009 at 06:55 PM.

I'll email you tomorrow with some details about how I was thinking that this could work. If done right, I think this might actually decrease your bandwidth usage.

Quote Originally Posted by mkdir View Post
    My intention is to make this an open source project of some sort. I want to do the open source for two reasons 1) nobody should blindly install software from an untrusted source and 2) you never know when I'm going to get hit by a bus, quit playing eq and not want to maintain it, etc.
    That was my thoughts as well. Glad to hear you are thinking open source. Fatal is the man to talk to

Thread Information