Meet Samwise Stormcloud

Server: Bertoxxulous

Guild: Crusaders Valorous

Where in the real life world do you live?
Sunny California

How long have you played EQ?
10.1 years

What other MMOs have you played?
My very first MMO was Sierra's "The Realm," which apparently is still running!

What type of work do you do?
I'm a student

How long is your typical gaming session when playing EQ?
4-5 hours when raiding, maybe 6 hours on weekends for exping, questing, etc.

What does a typical EQ day consist of for you?
Most days I just log on to raid, but on weekends I'll head out to work on quests, improve my faction, gain some experience, and so on.

What was the race and class of your very first character?
My first character in open beta back in 1999 was an Erudite Magician. When the game went live I decided I couldn't live without night vision and created a Halfling druid (who is still my main).

What got you into gaming and what sort of games do you like the most?
I've always enjoyed gaming and can't really point to a specific moment when I got into MMORPGs. But I definitely enjoy fantasy and strategy games the most. I like crunching numbers, planning my next move, and maximizing my performance much more than point-and-shoot type games.

What is your highest level in EQ?

What race and class is your main character?
Halfling Druid

What do you like the most about the class you have chosen for your main character?
I enjoy the versatility that druids offer. On raids I can function successfully as a healer, debuffer, and dps. In outdoor zones, druids are the masters of soloing, able to manage a dozen mobs at a time with AE root and DoTs. And even though no one in the Guild Lobby wants my MGB heartwood skin, I still like being able to help folks out by buffing!

Does your main character worship a deity?
Yes, Karana

How did you choose your main character's name?
Well I am a huge LOTR fan, but I would like the name even if it weren't made famous by Tolkien.

Which classes in EQ have you NOT played?
Bard, Beastlord, Enchanter, Shadow Knight, Warrior. I've tried all the others, though only a few have made it to 85.

What is your favorite expansion?
I have two... Luclin and TSS. The new PC models introduced in Luclin revitalized the game for me, and the lore surrounding Norrath's moon and its inhabitants was really fascinating. TSS was interesting from a raid perspective in that it offered two endgame zones (Frostcrypt and Ashengate), with distinctive lore, interesting characters, and challenging fights. I also like that Crescent Reach united the new players of EQ, offering them a common place to begin their adventures. As much as I hate to see Qeynos, Neriak, Freeport, and the other starting cities empty, I think new players have benefitted from CR.

What is your favorite zone?
Rivervale, of course!

What is your favorite NPC?
My allegiances lie with Mayor Gubbin.

Which expansion do you like the least?
Probably Ykesha. I didn't really feel the need or desire to explore it at all.

Which zone do you like the least?
Frontier Mountains.... I have been there in 5-6 years, I'll bet, but I still remember it as empty and desolate.

Which NPC do you like the least?
Any npc I can't root or snare!! Seriously, though, the Minotaur Hero was a source of major anxiety for me back when I first started.

What is the most platinum you have ever spent on purchasing a single item for one of your characters?
A long time ago I was desperate for an Amulet of Necropotence and dropped 375k on one. In retrospect that was pretty silly. Nowadays most of my platinum goes to aug switches!

Do you have an item you no longer use but keep around for nostalgic reasons? If so what is it and why do you keep it?
I keep a lot of items for nostalgia. The Greatstaff of Power (from Rallos Zek in PoTime) is one example. If there were a fabled version I'd probably use it despite the hp and mana downgrade!

What do you like best about EverQuest?
I like the richness of the lore and backstory, and the community. It is still engaging for me, even after over a decade of playing.

What do you get out of playing EverQuest?
I enjoy working together with my guildmates to tackle new encounters. Even though it can be frustrating when we mess something up, it keeps things interesting and forces us to be adaptable.

Describe your best experience from playing EverQuest?
It's hard to pick just one. We've had some very narrow victories on many encounters (our first successful tangle with Kerafyrm, for example), which were so rewarding to finally win!

Do you run or work for an EverQuest Fan Site?
Nope! But I'm a frequent patron of many

If you are interested in being highlighted in a Meet the Community, look for instructions here! We need more submissions, so send yours today!

More...