Peaky wrote:

I agree these spell should be researchable; personally, I think we should go back to the days of old and make all non-quested spells researchable when the expansion/content is current. I like the current system with respect to rank2 spells be drops for the most part; there is no reason these two methodologies can't co-exist.

There are few things more frustrating than camping a zone/theme for a drop because no one sells the "useless" (read: spells not worth a lot of plat to the potential purchaser) spells in the bazaar - and not getting a drop for months and months. Research, as it stands, is already quite expensive the higher level the spells get; I doubt the cost to research a rank2 spell in current content would cost remotely as little as the corresponding rank1 spell (probably more on the order of 2-3 times, which is far greater than most rank2 spells sell for in the bazaar, from current content . . .).

I often wonder why the decision was made to not allow current spells to be researched; heck, some of the spells were ONLY attainable via research before the advent of general spell merchants in places like Abysmal Sea.
for now it is because research spells are "easy" to acquire, and the paradigm is that it takes more work than that to get your rank II spells.

That said, there is posible that a rarish component from being added to spell research for this, it is just a paradigm shift.

More...