PDA

View Full Version : I Figured It Out Everyone!!!!

Solrath
04-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Okay turns out the solution is painfully simple here it goes if you have reinstalled EQ and maps do not show DO NOT extract map files to:

C:\Program Files\EverQuest\maps

I know I did and it will not do you ANY good at all. Now if you do want the beautiful blessed maps just Extract them to:

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\maps

I know it hurts doesn't it, trust me I only figured this out but pure chance but that's all it was. I feel like an idiot. Took me days banging my head against the wall before it dawned on me. PLEASE tell everyone who has this problem. God bless Mapfiend.

Eidolon1
06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I've been doing that (ie) extracting to Program Files/Sony\EverQuest\maps -- STILL is NOT working. Can't get Blightfire Moor map. Anyone have any solution to that prob. Know quite a few peeps STILL having this problem. Talked to EQ and they said they didn't include the Blightfire Moor map withe the expansion because people like to personally design their maps. I told the guy -- AND???? they can do that thru mapfiend. lol

Kaliaila
06-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Eidolon1, first SOE hasn't designed any of the supplied maps for the last 3 or so expansions. They were all made by players in Beta and SOE was allowed by them to supply them to the masses. SOE supposedly had to make maps the same way we do, just like they supposedly have to make UI windows just like we do with no way to instantly see what the result will be aside from loading up EQ. So really just be glad there are any maps with the new expansions at all.

Find the Everquest folder that you are playing EQ from. In that EQ folder there will be a maps folder. Put the TXT files into that maps folder.

Examples:

If you play from C:\Program Files\Everquest\
then put the TXT files into C:\Program Files\Everquest\maps

If you play from C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest\
then put the TXT files into C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest\maps

If you play from C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest Trilogy\
then put the TXT files into C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest Trilogy\maps

If you play from C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest Gold\
then put the TXT files into C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest Gold\maps

If you play from C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest Platinum\
then put the TXT files into C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest Platinum\maps

shaina123
10-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I spent all day yesterday downing maps into sony/everquest/map folder on my hard drive but with vista its not working I have in notepad form if that helps any please i would love to know how to get then to work

thanks Shaina

deetwo
07-26-2008, 09:41 AM
what i did was make a separte folder then downloaded the maps to that folder then copy those to the eq map files this seamed to work for and i have vista

mapsnoworky
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I did the same thing as deetwo but my maps are *not* working. I have vista 64-bit. (Anyone having problems with 64bit vs 32bit OSes?)

I run eq from the C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest\maps path and so extracted the maps to this folder. When I go to the 'maps' level I see the extracted files all there as .txt files. What else should I try? If I delete the contents of the 'maps' folder completly, will the maps created by SOE automatically re-download when I connect to EQ? ...Any other suggestions?

Xyrre
08-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Did you try downloading the maps to a different directory and extracting them to that directory then copying them over to the maps directory? Extracting them straight into the maps directory has caused people some issues on Vista.

Zynfandel
08-22-2008, 07:12 AM
im not a Vista user. my EQ is not in a sony file. so how will that work? worked find on hubbys computer because he does have vista and eq in a sony file.

jopickard@msn.com
09-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, I am using XP Pro and so far all have worked fine! The Iceclad map looks very different. It would be nice if EQ would automap as you went through a zone and mark NPCs as you hailed them. Just came on to download Grimling Forest. When I started, I did not have Sony in my directory path, but I got a newer vesion of EQ after my old hard drive died, and now I have Sony in my directory path. Good luck with Vista; it is a pain!

Phelis
07-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Ive tried everything. I tried copying the files into the dl folder and extracting them there as well, followed by both dragging them all and copying them into the maps file. Ive tried disabling the UAC and doing the same thing. i tried doing every combination of the previously mentioned in conjunction with restarts, deletion of maps with fresh installs, yelling and cursing Bill Gate's name and i even did a voodoo map install dance but all to no avail.

This is the suck.

I have always used Mapfiend and they have great maps, i just cant get the things to run on Vista.

tobybear
07-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Some versions of the EQ disks created different files where EQ would be installed.

Mines in C:\Everquest, and Ive seen people in a C:\Sony\Everquest and there may be others. Some people may have multiple or partitioned HD's.

Right Click on the Icon you use to start EQ, then click on properties.

There will be a line that shows the location of the EQ executable file.

It may be under 'target', or possibly 'location'.

For instance heres mine..

C:\Everquest\Everquest.exe

If you substitute the Everquest.exewith maps so that it looks like this..

C:\Everquest\maps

That should be the folder you want to paste your maps in, or extract them to.

I download my map files to a completely separate file, and either 'copy and paste' them to the map file or extract them there. I dont know if the patcher would affect some stray.zip file or whatever.

And when windows asks if I want to overwrite a file, I always click yes, unless I know theres a particular file I want to keep.

Karve
10-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Running EQ from c:\sony\EverQuest add the map files to c:\sony\EverQuest\maps

*Note: if you are in a zone and you add an updated map, the file will not show. I'm totally convinced you need to restart EQ after adding new maps for them to be visible.

meows
10-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Any one have any maps of new expansion? Rough ones would be great even.
Thanks
Meows

PS

meows
10-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Any one have any maps of new expansion? Rough ones would be great even.
Thanks
Meows

PS I tried a new thread but have not gotten permisson yet,. but it has only been 3 years since i signed up on mapfiend.

Fatal
10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Maps can not be posted here until the NDA is lifted.

wuwuzat
12-18-2009, 05:43 PM
OK, I have tried every "fix" listed on here. I always had the path located and it was not listed on any post here. The map file was located on my hd as follows:
C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\maps

Having said that, I have tried extracting directly to the file folder (didn't work), extracting to a separate file and then copying the map text files directly into the map file folder (also didn't work).

I did find something that may be an issue by opening up each individual map file after the extract or copy methods, and that is that the text of the maps that do actually work appear to be ordered and neat. The ones that do not appear to have a bunch of jumbled code. I assume that is something that happens during the extraction process but cannot figure out an easy way to format the text to make it readable.
I am not very familiar with text editing and I know that my notepad does not give me the ability to save changes to these files.
Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I do have a very few maps that work, none of which I would use or need at this point. None of the newer expansion maps work.

Spunky1015
02-21-2010, 03:49 AM
I to am a returning player after 5 years i could not even find my original disks so i used the sony launcher to install the game the path is a little convoluted.

C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\maps

but if you are trying to manipulate the files via my computer it looks like

C:\desktop\computer\INSERT YOUR DRIVE NAME HERE\program files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\maps

this is with a factory install of Vista on a toshiba laptop

i hope this helps :D

maker19464
03-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I have moved EQ out of the Sony folder and reloaded maps no luck. I have created another folder and opened maps there then moved them in to the maps folder no change. Nothing I have done is working on either of my machines.

I think it's pot luck if you get them to start working with any of the above solutions . Oh, I even ran EQ in Admin mode with no change. All I have noticed, after I unpacked the maps many of the files have 0k for their file size. What's that all about.

Help!

erwin.zeez
04-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Eidolon1, first SOE hasn't designed any of the supplied maps for the last 3 or so expansions. They were all made by players in Beta and SOE was allowed by them to supply them to the masses. SOE supposedly had to make maps the same way we do, just like they supposedly have to make UI windows just like we do with no way to instantly see what the result will be aside from loading up EQ. So really just be glad there are any maps with the new expansions at all.

Find the Everquest folder that you are playing EQ from. In that EQ folder there will be a maps folder. Put the TXT files into that maps folder.

Examples:

thats the information i need
thanks Kaliaila

dam3d
04-19-2010, 02:12 PM
UNBLOCK the files....

The game installs to "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest" or Program Files (x86) if 64bit vista or windows 7

Just extract or paste the txt files into "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\maps" but do not do it while the game is running.

In windows 7, when you extract or copy files from another computer or download files, windows 7 may block the file. This means tat the file is there, but windows 7 is blocking access to it. What you have to do is right click on each of the txt files you copied and go to properties, then click the "Unblock" button. issue solved.

See this thread for more: http://www.mapfiend.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14969

FYI I am Ferger on Mithaniel Marr (Saryn) server if you have questions. :)

Zalewski
09-14-2010, 04:06 PM
In the Mapfiend download all file, there are Many map files that are zero or 1kb. If their file is empty, they should Not have the file name used in case the player Does have content. Then if they Do end up acquiring a usable map THEN add it to the download file, until then do Not use that file name.

Lamgari27
04-19-2011, 03:25 PM
i just deleted all the maps that come with eq in the maps folder then replaced them with the ones i downloaded and extracted from mapfiend. i will update this post to let everyone know if it worked.

krazyfukr
05-09-2011, 02:06 PM
To get the maps to work, you must not be logged in to everquest when you copy the maps into the maps folder.

Close everquest completely, copy maps, restart everquest.

Works.

Beggly
10-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Examples:

-----

I've been having preblems as well, but I am using EQ: Anniversary Edition... sigh....

Where should I put them?

-----

Micrho
12-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Ok I have Vista and was having problems with the maps not showing up. I unziped them to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\maps and it did not work maps still did not show up. So I right clicked on the launcher and looked to see what the path was of the shortcut. It was "C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\LaunchPad.exe". So I unziped the maps to "C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\maps and maps now show up.

drygonfli
03-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I have extracted to both everquest and everquest Trilogy and still no Brightfire Moor maps. I run Windows 7 Will try the extract to seperate folder and then copy to folder and see if that works.

if not is a pain cause I do not have POK maps, Tranuility maps etc....

Gus
03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
yep...same problem for me with Windows 7

i noticed there are 1,014 files in download all...none named Blightfire Moor but it is included in crescent_2.txt...

so i have the map...just won't load while i am in the game...what's up with that ?

drygonfli
04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Well, I found the problem. The Free to play (and I am a gold member) everquest loads in c/ProgramData/SonyIntertainment/everquest/ or close to it and it use to be loaded in c/program files/sony/everquest or everquest Trilogy.

When I loaded into the second one, nothing happened. but when I found and went to the ProgramData string, I found the map file, deleted the old maps and loaded the new ones, All then worked.

I would never have found it if my friend Camina had not given me her link for where her program was loaded......

Thank you and I hope this helps everyone.

ericwinnlpn
04-05-2012, 05:34 AM
still did not work for me i have tried all the suggestions people have said on this site and i stgill cannot get them to work it appears the map files went to the right directory b ut the maps never show up in game. I know i'm not alone because im talking to multiple people in game having the same issue

ericwinnlpn
04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
ok here is what finally worked for me. I saw that there can be more than one place to get to everquest. To find my path i needed to use i right clicked on the shortcut for the eq patcher and then clicked properties. MY path was C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Everquest and then extracted downloaded maps to C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Everquest\maps
Then when i looked at the indiviual map files theres about a 1000 of them it seemed--i right clicked on each file and clicked on its properties. About 80% of them said this file may have been blocked because it came from another computer. There was a box to push to unblock it then I pushed apply then ok for each and every one of thos e individual files. When I logged back into eq i had maps. This was a windows 7 computer. There probably was an easier way to do this but I could not figure out how. I did not have eq running while I did this. If anyone wants me to tell them more about it feel free to look me up in game on tunare server Shamwin

intrigue
04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
instead of going in and changing each individual file, right click the zip file and change the properties there to unblock them. Then unzip them and put into your maps folder. This is compliments of my friend Tony who knows everything!