PDA

View Full Version : Re:Free?

Newsfiend
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
radrel wrote:

Even though I'm a newbie.I hope this game doesn't go f2p. I am leaving eq2 after a long time because it is going f2p. f2p doesn't work in mmo's, only few games have provided a good f2p experience.

eq is like a fine wine. it gets better with age. Why would you serve a nice fine wine to a frat party where nobody cares about it and just drinks it to consume achoal.

the f2p market would place a lot of trolls and other such undesirables into the game. Yeah you may find a few good people. but you're going to have to deal with thousands of trolls to find that one nice person.

That is why the f2p system does not really work well. It allows idoits and trolls to get into the game easily and make the community suffer as a whole.

Actually, Free to Play has worked very well for a lot of MMOs. Talk to the folks running DDO.

As Dave Georgeson said in the latest community video, which I'm watching right now, just because there have been some bad free to play games does not mean that the business model is bad.

And you, as a player, want new people to join your game for a whole lot of reasons. You want people to play with. Even if some of those players suck, they will help the good players find groups and level up so they can join your guild. You want people to find more ways to give SOE money so that we can make your game better.

I guess you weren't playing in 2000 when servers were packed. I was. Sure, it sucked at times, but from all those people came the people you play with now. More is better.

I am NOT saying anything at all about whether EQ is going free to play or not. I'm just saying that making a game free to play does not make it into a bad game. The game won't change much at all. EQII will still be a great game. If you like it now, you will probably like it more with new players to hang out with.

A

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=180988&post_id=2736017#2736017)