PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Question relating to EQ vs WoW and EQ2

Newsfiend
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Drelex wrote:

Okay from reading what's been posted thus far Im fairly confused most of you seem to agree that EQ is a much longer game and that it's more of grind if I understand correctly, that its much harder to understand and much more difficult, I don't mind those last two but the first two are odd to me because some of you seem to be talking about that as if it's a good thing where as most people seem to really hate it when games take ages and ages to get to X from Y so am i just not understanding something or what?

It really is a matter of taste. EQ is an older game. We've spent a LOT of effort trying to make it more accessible to new players, but with all the old systems and arcane junk in the game, I admit that it can be daunting for a new player. We also have the advantage of a lot of experienced players that, if you're nice to them, can help you with that arcana. And if you do start playing and find something confusing, post here and hopefully we'll have a chance to make it better.

However, I also think that EQ offers the deepest gameplay of the three. That's not just because we have... more than 400 zones and more than 10,000 quests (those are just the ones in the new system, though I got that from a very fast DB search and it's likely that a lot of those are placeholders or tasks that were never finished, so let's say over 9,000 tasks). I say that because we've built a lot of story over the years. EQ has gameplay for solo players, groups (4 - 6 people), some stuff for 12 or so and a lot of content for 50 or more people.

Leveling up is NOT slow in EQ. It is as fast or faster to level up in EQ than in those other games. However, you will want to make friends and gather a group to play with, because that is the best way to play. I think that this is why most people think EQ is hard or tedious to play. Our game was built to play with others on the theory that a shared experience is much better than doing stuff alone. So if you are used to playing MMOs by yourself, you might not enjoy EQ.

My suggestion to a new player is not to look too far ahead. Play the game one step at a time. Find quests for your level and do them. Make friends that play when you do and play with them. Do that and you will enjoy playing and soon enough you'll find yourself near the top of the level ladder. If you play with the only desire to reach the top of the game, you might not enjoy the game, that is what makes it feel like a grind.

EQII and WoW are both great games. I think EQ is better, but I'm biased. The only real way to know which you like best will probably be to play them...

A

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=180912&post_id=2736025#2736025)