PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:GM Thread On Cheating

Newsfiend
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Kreacher wrote:

Tanise wrote:

Kreacher wrote:

Ronak-Xegony wrote:

Do you really believe that 18000 to 25000 people use MQ?

I'm sorry, I don't buy that.

This thread has had 450 views. MQ2 threads have 80000+ views.

As someone said earlier, most folks use it just for the map search functions.

The simplest solution is to only send the spawn info of the mobs within a certain radius, rather than the entire zone wide spawn info, then MQ problem would be become pretty negiable.

The Dev's did try this before, but folks actually complained and they relented. Would be interesting to see that thread again and see exactly who complained and their guild affliations.

It was complained about because it caused lag, insane amounts of it and iirc made raid instances undoable.

Map hacks or showeq type programs, follow macros, mob con color text, automation of redundant tasks, or even being able to open bags while casting, while cheating, aren't a big deal to me. Someone using them who's in competition with me really isn't at that much of an advantage. Bring a ranger and you have basically the same data. I know TONS of people who use the autofire program for semi afkish foraging or spell skill ups. Being able to warp across a zone, kill a mob without taking any damage, etc are straight up cheats and do affect the game for others.

Are you sure? I was raiding, boxing 6 accounts with no problems and i live on the other side of the world to the servers.

I'll admit, it did cause minor lag, esp in the lobby, however this could have been worked through.

How is sending ALL zone spawn info faster than sending LOCALISED area spawn info?

I say that the folks who complained about the lag had a hidden agenda, however this number is obviously very large cos they got it changed back.

I can't agree with your second point that the MQ map users don't interfere with you. These simple map users are the breeding ground and market for the hacks that come up with Dains/Beza etc. It's kinda a mate buying some plat, it doesn't affect you that someone has some plat, but the affects on the baz/spam messages can be felt.

Some players had "hitching" issues with it. Not really lag per-se. Overall it improves performance on most machines, but it causes the distracting hitches on others. It's due to the expensive actor creation process (an actor is the 3d model and all it's resources, etc.). When you're sending all the entity data, that all happens with the zoning screen up. When you only send localized entity data, you're continually creating and destroying these actors, which causes the hitching. While it's theoretically possible to put all that processing in a background thread, that's a very risky bit of code that has high chance of causing stability issues since the engine was never really designed for it. That's why we haven't re-visited it. It's possible I may turn it back on at some point but make it optional, so those that get a performance increase using it can choose to turn it on.

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=160641&post_id=2391737#2391737)