PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Re:2 more Bank / Bag suggestions

Newsfiend
01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Angahran-Bertox wrote:

treebouncer wrote:

I dont think its coding restrictions, i just think the code is so old messing with it could break other aspects of the game...

However i dont see why we couldnt get some new 16-18- or 20 slot bags.

Having been a coder and a code tester for many years, working on some very complicated and some very old systems I always see this 'its too old to mess with' as being the biggest cop out excuse ever thought of.

Don't SOE have internal test servers where people can actually test code changes ?

I'm not talking about the public Test Server, I'm talking about internal systems where the developers actually develop code.

All they need to do is take a copy of the test server data, copy it onto one of their internal test boxes, mess around with the bank/bag code to their hearts content, try out different options, see what works and what dosent.

They could even use the Beta server now that Underfoot is released. People understand that Beta is going to be unstable and things break, etc.

If they use the Beta server they should really have a different dataset instead of using the same data that is on the live servers, that way thay can do whatever they want on Beta without it having any effect on the live servers.

Ang.

Even with that. There are a HUGE amount of character files with a huge permutation of Data, so not every possible combination is going to be covered.

More slots within a bag is a fundamental data storage change which always have the chance of data corruption.

Yes we would do backups, have the code ready to be reverted, etc... But it still has the potential to cause massive rollbacks. (Though Sklug says Data corruption may not be too bad)

And we are not saying it is impossible. We are saying it is risky AND we are saying it is VERY time consuming (Multiple iterations and test passes as you mentioned takes TIME.) Call it what you want, but that does not change the facts.

We want to give people more space. We are still not convinced at this point it is worth the risk and the time spent from doing other tasks to do it.

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=160377&post_id=2383739#2383739)