PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Evercracked: Good, decent, or bad?

Newsfiend
12-03-2009, 08:50 PM
crystilla wrote:

Elidroth wrote:

Tearsin_Rain wrote:

Elidroth wrote:

I enjoyed it really.. Some of the jokes didn't make any sense to me.. but whatever. Overall it was a fun look back at what it took to get this game off the ground.

for me the big issue was the same problem that all MMO and gaming related videos or documentaries i've ever seen had had:
it was blatantly obvious that it was made for people who don't know anything about MMOs or gaming.

just look at oldy-mc-what's-his-face, whoever the guy is they got to randomly babble off title cards... first of all, the garbage he was yammering is 'well fawking DUH' information to anyone who games, and secondly it was clearly a sort of *wink wink nudge nudge don't worry viewer, it's okay you have no idea what's going on, i don't either* which for the most part i just found kind of insulting, considering that as an EQ player this thing was nominally produced for my benefit (or at least, for me to enjoy and purchase)

making a 10th anniversary documentary about EQ's life development is not going to be interesting to anyone except EQ players... so why was 90% of evercracked spent explaining MMO concepts or making long-winded rambling back-story narratives to explain what things meant?

also, jace hall needs to get punched in the face until his skull collapses. any time the programming nerds you're interviewing are 100000 times more charismatic and interesting and engaging than you are, and you're NOT playing the straight man, you need a debilitating terminal illness to get you out of the gene pool as quickly as possible.

Having spent a fair amount of time talking to Jace at Fan Faire this year I have to respectfully disagree. I thought he was a great guy to talk with, and his history in the gaming industry is impressive to say the least. I didn't have a problem with him in the movie at all.

I will agree that had I been in charge of the project.. I'd have gone more to the meat and potatoes of EQ's development, and tried a bit less for the jokes, but that's not Jace's style.

Elidroth - I haven't seen the new cuts (I only saw the one at FF) but I'd think something you said in the introductory panel would have been perfect for the show. How before you worked on EQ, you were working elsewhere and got called into the offices when EQ launched ..... (for those who didn't hear the ending, I don't want to spoil it).

I haven't noticed any new material as of yet.. I was hoping some of that Q&A session might have gotten included, but it doesn't appear so.. at least not what IGN is showing.

When EQ launched, I was a Network Engineer for CERFnet.. Verant's internet provider. When EQ launched, and then promptly crashed our routers/backbone.. I was one of the 1st people on-site to work on it. We had NO idea the kind of bandwidth demands this game was going to generate.. It was insanity to say the least.

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=158561&post_id=2357280#2357280)