PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Re:Re:Potion trivials

Newsfiend
10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Wings16 wrote:

Dev-Ngreth wrote:

Wings16 wrote:

I've thought the same thing about these trivials as the OP. It doesnt make sense to say it's to control the amount of potions (or whatever the item may be) coming into the world. The trivial for the level 85 clarity potion is 508. When SoF was new and level 80 was max, the best clarity potion had a trivial of 468. You can take these trivials all the way back to level 70 and see the fail rates constantly get lower.

If the target fail rate is 50% now, what will it be at 90? 55% failure? What was it during SoF, 45? The only logic I can see in this is that Ngreth hopes to someday allow the skill caps to go above 300. Then all this would make sense again. To have trivials scale like that looks nice on paper but to me doesnt make sense unless the skill cap also goes up with it.

Well. If you are reading minds... you are doing a poor job.

I have it at that trivial for the fail rate. No other "nefarious" purpose.

I meant no offence with my post. Actually I didn't doubt your 50% fail rate statement. My poor mind reading was just a 'possibly' scenario in order to have the rising trivials make sense to me in some larger picture. I've read in the past where you said, in no uncertain terms, that skill caps will not be raised.

My main point was just that if a 468 trivial provided an intended fail rate when SoF was new on level 80 potions then why should the fail rate need an increase for level 85 potions for SoD. The obvious answer is 468 wasnt enough and more fails were needed.

The other big change is the dusts used are in high demand for power sources also. SoF ingredients didn't have this competition. As a tradeskiller of all skills I personally would never waste dusts on potions. I can make the level 80 potions much easier and use the dusts for power sources.

None of this is a big deal in game for me. It's just interesting to discuss changes mostly. Sometimes a dev, even Ngreth, might overlook these small changes and not see the full impact they have on little things like alchemy potions. I'll try to hold back my mind reading powers in the future. http://www.mapfiend.net/eq/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif

http://www.mapfiend.net/eq/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif

And skill may increase at some point, but there are issues with it. It will require a code change that will likely in the end change the "curve" possibly making it easier on future players. It may not change the curve, but it is possible that it will happen.

It is just not an "easy" fix, and *is* currently a code issue. It is something that will take discussion. Perhaps not a huge amount of code time, but also not something we have decided to put in priority above other things at this time.

I also require OTHER changes before I will do it. I need to be able to make "flat" skill mods, OR at the minimum put a cap on the percentage skill mods... because realistically, I do NOT want to give more than 50 points skill bonus, and as long as the skill bonuses are a percentage, the items and trophies that offer 15% skill mod will be too powerful and scale too much once the skill cap increases. I would like to just set them to a flat number increase (at 45 for the 15% mods)

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=156566&post_id=2324792#2324792)