PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Re:A million dollars for 32 video game characters?

Newsfiend
10-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Erianaiel wrote:

Gugagan wrote:

Just a thought, a way to avoid people being unhappy with the models (except for the complainers who will complain regardless of what you make). Most new games have slide bars where you can increase or decrease bulk on a bodypart and basically anything you want. Each race has a preset skeleton but everything out side of that within some parameters can get adjusted by the user. I am guessing this is not too hard to do since so many others games do it. Why not do that for the new models for EQ?

And yes I will gladly pay up to 100 bucks for new models!

The game engine has to be set up to allow this, and I am guessing EQ is not. Also, you not only have to scale the body but also the clothing (you really would not want to see what happens with the game's rating when you put an A size chainmail on a DD sized barbarian). Besides the model and armour you also have to take care to scale the animations accordingly or e.g. a sword ends up halfway the character's elbow, or floats a feet or so beyond the hands.

Without knowing how the game has been designed to handle these things there is no telling if this will work or if it is going to make things even worse.

Likely (not certainly, see above caveat) the cheapest solution is to totally rip the current character and animation code out of the game and replace it with the code used in Everquest 2. Of course this also requires replacing the armour and weapons with what is used in that game so that still is probably more than a year's worth of work, but the (slight) advantage is that after that both games can share the art department for clothing, armour and weapons. It is however impossible if the game engine can not be made to distinguish between player characters and game characters (or the developers would have to redesign every zone at once).

Eri

EQ does not currently support "adjusting" the skeleton or meshes of its models dynamically. Doing so would add fairly significantly to the rendering load placed on your PC and video card. It's also not a trivial thing to code, though certainly not impossible. I suspect any chance of new models would only be just that, new models (using the system currently used for the Drakkin), not a completely new character rendering engine. Note that EQ2 has a ton of customization via clothing/equipment, yet they don't allow you to adjust the basic proportions of the models.

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=156818&post_id=2321509#2321509)