PDA

View Full Version : Re:Feature Suggestion: stealing names from "dead" accounts

Newsfiend
10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
RhinoNY wrote:

Yeah, I can hear people yelling already, but what the heck...

Here's the scenario:

I'm a loyal customer with 10 years veteran rewards. I go to create a new toon. I think of the perfect name. I try to create, but it fails because the name is already used. It sits on a level 11 toon that last logged in in 2000 and hasn't had an active account in 9+ YEARs. Fair? Which shows better customer appreciation?

In my opinion, this shouldn't fail. I should get the name, and an X should be added to the toon on the inactive account...just like a server merge. I dont' even need to be told that I stole it. Heck, it could be just good luck AFAIK.

Here's are the rules I suggest for determining if you can steal a name:

- the inactive account has been inactive for a minimum of 2 years

- the requesting account has to have a higher veteran status than the inactive account

Both are easily determined.

This way even if a 7 year veteran who hasn't played in 3 years can't have their names stolen by a noob, only a 10 year vet could. And of course, as long as you stay current (or go current for at least one month within a 2 year period), your names are safe.

Now, i know this will take a bit of development effort. So if that means a "special" new SC potion, then so be it. Or, alternatively only the existing name-change potion could invoke this "force" logic, whereas character creation does not. More SC revenue for SoE!!!

Or perhaps the best of both worlds, a new "super duper" name change SC pot that gives you the ONLY way to steal a name that is in use, but of course abiding by strict and fair rules such as those sugested above.

Yeah, I know people will cringe at the SC suggestion, but frankly, it may be the only way we'll ever see the feature, and like racial/deity change, I *like* the feature, even if it's SC only...

- Rhino

Customer Service can assist with the name. However, it depends on the overall circumstances. Keep in mind that you don't have access to see actual account information, if you do, /ban! but anyway, it depends on a few things.

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=156926&post_id=2318802#2318802)