PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:how come clerics are so mad?

Newsfiend
08-01-2009, 02:50 AM
Xeneor wrote:

Dev-Raramor wrote:

Stratnolan wrote:

Gnomereaper wrote:

shesees wrote:

Dev's seem non-interested in direct feedback in these forums; either they don't know what to say, or just don't care enough to at least say something. No one that can say anything knows it seems.

I'll make my decision on what to do come next expansion. If it's more of the same, my cleric is getting shelved.

I'm not interested in a class that has no direction really & no input whatsoever from anyone that makes this game.

That and a conservative design philosophy, which hinders some simple mechanics. The question is whether we're in "enchanter editting mode" that occurred between SoF to SoD, or in the gutter. I agree with you in terms of a class to an extent, but honestly I just wish there was an archer healing or a martial healing(DnD 4e Warlord class that heal through combat attacks, NOT PALADINS) class.

The class has promise, but there's just needs to be a hard push to make it not be so one dimensional. We have the tools and concepts, but not the beef to back it up.

I really like the idea of dps while healing concept and I think it would be a good way to go for us. Our dps is dismal, everyone knows and won't deny that. Instead of upping our dps to much higher levels why don't they make it so we keep our crappy dps but be able to apply while healing. Without huge coding to support something totally different like being able to cast a heal/dd combo that healed the target while applying the dd to the targets target, I don't know what could be done besides indirect dps through targeted dps buffs like our ward. I think this will be the only way we will ever see anything along the lines of dps'ing while healing or healing while dps'ing.

But I do think this is the future for clerics. Something that does not really raise our dps capabilities by much but allows us to apply said dps concurrently with healing. Even if they do give us some indirect dps, I think it should be raised by a small % as well. Target ward at it's current dps rate wouldn't be enough to make a difference imo. Make it a little larger damage per proc, slap it as targetable, give it a recast and see how it works out.

Target VoV is another way. Lower or remove the heal and raise the DD portion and slap a recast on it.

Without pinning ourselves down on what we intend to do with clerics in the near future... part of my agenda with the class is a) easing the burnout factor on clerics to a degree, b) consideration of some interesting new mechanics that address themselves to the heal/dd issue, and c) to come up with ways of keeping the concept of a cleric merc (or other future mercs) useful to players that want or need them in order to enjoy the game, while mitigating the perception that cleric mercs were intended to replace or supplant cleric players.

First, I'll say it, I don't play a cleric (a druid here) but I do agree that I'd like to see the clerics get some major boosts there... not just in spells, but AA's and maybe give them a unique aura or other spell that would be mainly players only, not merc capable...

examples: A weak damage shield that stacks with everyone's but with a bane to undead on it... so it might do 5 damage to normal NPC's... but an undead attacks... it gets 5 and a 50 bane damage per hit...

or another one: The Druid and magicians have the specialized direct damage to summoneds... Clerics have it, but it stopped with Desolate undead... How about a slight twist of the druid/mage spell we got in buried sea ( Annihilate the Unnatural), but with undeads... a 2000 damage undead nuke, but a 10 percent chance to put a major cripple into an undead, and a 2 percent chance to do 30k damage to the undead...

One thing that might help on the part with mercenaries, that does seem to add to the luster of them... Mercs come fully loaded with spells for that level, the moment you get them... How about mercenaries being like players... most don't start out with all the spells on day one... how about they have to be run to a special vendor somewhere (maybe the same ones as clerics would for their tier one spells) and then possibly have some spells suddenly gained at random as drops in encounters... like flags attached to the player... "your mercenary has just learned something new! - (spell/tome name)"... instead of once the player dings to the level needed for gallantry rank 2, having it suddenly available, they have to go out and get it or hope it's one their mercenary has learned... like a lot of players do...

an interesting thought, I see PBAE stuns on the list for clerics... how about an AA PBAE stun, that while it stuns NPC's in a set range, it also delivers a heal to groupmembers in range as well...

Another idea for a possible spell... Once again I call on a druid spell, but only as how it's set up... the druid/ranger whistle... One for clerics (mercs wouldn't be able to use it)... to summon a holy flaming sword that works like a bodyguard pet. for a short duration of time (5-10 minutes or so)... but would have the regular /pet go away ability... but with an innate undead proc in the sword... further adding to helping a cleric in the realm of undeads...

Another idea for DPS on clerics, for if they're not needed for heals at the moment... an undead nuke, that works fast, burns hotter than normal, but only when an undead NPC is under 30 percent health, as it's weakened... a 3 second cast 4k nuke undead only with low resist... (I know some might say why start putting high values on nukes when clerics have had nukes stop at under 3k, but NPC's are getting stronger... 100,000 HP is not uncommon these days)...

an idea for a cleric Aura... an undead NPC in the aura range, has a percentage chance to choke up in fighting... instead of swinging it's distracted by a holy light, pausing it for a few moments, before carrying on... not a true slow, but a percentage chance to be slowed up like a stun would hit with...

maybe a new form of the Divine Intervention spell... Same spell, except a percentage chance that when the spell DOES kick in, it summons a small guardian angel for the player who just got a death save, to attack the target that the player was fighting too for a short time... but the guardian angel is not killable... It's merely a visible version of a meelee DoT being delivered to the target...

There's the Providence spell to reflect spell damage... how about a spell that has a chance to reflect (or at least block) rampage attacks (self only) by a percentage... 30%?

But I do want to see clerics get back in the game... and more than a bot being dragged about while people play other classes... I seen a few leave saying they was burnt out of the sit and click heal game... but at the same time they admitted they wanted to stay as best healers in the game...

I think I can safely say that clerics will be getting some love in the course of the next 12 months.

A thread that sheds some light on what figures into my thought process regarding class balance:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/p...topic_id=139439 (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=139439)

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=151772&post_id=2253150#2253150)