PDA

View Full Version : Grids on the maps

Sumonerr
03-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Is there any possible way to NOT have the grids on the map? i know some people like them but i dont. Makes the maps hard to read. Thankyou in advance.

~ Sumonerr

hemigod
03-06-2006, 04:20 AM
Layer 3 in these maps contain the gridlines. Turn of layer 3 in the Cartography Tool.

MadButch
03-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Everytime you zone, it is turned back on tho... get's annoying pretty fast.

I'm assuming you could just delete all *_3.txt files in the maps dir.
Or maybe it's possible to turn of layer 3 by default for everquest by editing it's ini file?

Stanger
03-07-2006, 04:19 AM
Yes I'd also like to know if there's a way to permanently turn off the gridlines without having to delete all the 3 files in the maps folder. I figured there must be a command in one of the files somewhere in the Everquest folder that tells the map window which buttons to have pressed all the time and which ones to be left alone all the time.

The grid lines make it hard for me to see to, so I'd like to get it so they don't show without having to hit the button in the map window every time you zone.

DMFOAD
03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't delete the files, move them to a new directory in case you want to ever restore them.

Fatal
03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
If there isn't a way to set which map layers you want loaded by default, there should be. let me see if i can find an answer.

Melekahn
03-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah those grid lines suck bad. Worst part is I used layer 3 for my own map notations. Now they are all gone since I downloaded and overwrote all the layer 3. Yeah my fault for not doing back ups. But it had always worked previously. What the hell good are the grid lines anyway?

Darkmatil
03-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Another vote for getting rid of gridlines, all they do is confuse people. Have to turn them off every time I zone and some of them are messed up and the lines extend outside of the maps.

Stanger
03-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Any word on this yet? Is there a setting in the Everquest files somewhere to make Layer 3 be permanently not displayed? Or do I need to delete all my layer 3 files in maps area if that's the only solution?

I say start makin the all maps download not include the grid lines layer. They aren't too great, or useful.

LrdDread
03-18-2006, 05:52 AM
to no grid lines.... they are just horrid!

Kjan
03-19-2006, 07:23 PM
plz remove grid lines, they serve no purpose other than making maps harder to read.

Thanks

Spedi
03-21-2006, 04:37 PM
When you open WinZip to extract the maps in the files box instead of checking All Files check the button below it ( Files ) and in the box enter:

*_1.txt *_2.txt

A space seperating them. WinZip will select just the *_1.txt and the *_2.txt files and extract them instead of all of the files.

Mapfiend
03-21-2006, 07:55 PM
When we just had the grid lines as a display aid on the images, people wanted them as part of the map. Instead of making them part of the main map, I made them a seperate layer so people could turn them off if they wanted to.
Now that there in there, all of a sudden, nobody wants them. Make up my damn mind already! :p

I'll add an option on the zip pages to exclude gridlines.

Spedi
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
As for the layer 3 files not working or messing up a map, I went into one, Acrylia_3.txt, and it seems to be in Unix format. I ran a Unix2DOS utility on the file to put it in DOS format and now it works fine.

In case anyone cares, Unix format uses a different end of line method than DOS. If you open the above file in notepad you will see the whole file is only one line long when in reality it is about 26 lines long.

I checked more of them and found that most are in Unix format.

Darkmatil
03-24-2006, 01:44 AM
When we just had the grid lines as a display aid on the images, people wanted them as part of the map. Instead of making them part of the main map, I made them a seperate layer so people could turn them off if they wanted to.
Now that there in there, all of a sudden, nobody wants them. Make up my damn mind already! :p

I'll add an option on the zip pages to exclude gridlines.

Well I can understand some people wanting them, but I think the main issue is they have to be turned off every time you zone, not just once, and a lot of them look really borked too (maybe it's the unix explanation someone explained above). But thank you for adding no gridlines as an option.

Mapfiend
03-24-2006, 05:10 PM
As for the layer 3 files not working or messing up a map, I went into one, Acrylia_3.txt, and it seems to be in Unix format. I ran a Unix2DOS utility on the file to put it in DOS format and now it works fine.

In case anyone cares, Unix format uses a different end of line method than DOS. If you open the above file in notepad you will see the whole file is only one line long when in reality it is about 26 lines long.

I checked more of them and found that most are in Unix format.

Good catch Spedi. I totally neglected the line feed / carriage return thing when I wrote the generator. I'll get these fixed this weekend.

Darkmatil:
Yeah, I haven't played EQ in over 3 years, so I know very little about the cartography UI, and I simply didn't know that you couldn't turn off specific layers by default.

If anyone is interested in helping me fix some of the more borked ones:
1. Let me know which ones are borked :)
2. Send me screenshots, if possible.