PDA

View Full Version : Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Weapon damage question

Newsfiend
06-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Delbaeth wrote:

roth wrote:

It has long been figured that each point is checked individually.

Ngreth stated that commonly mobs have between 15 and 30 of a resist, and that at 30 resist, though their calculations assume 50% of the elemental damage is applied, they think that it is 66% of the elemental damage that is applied, on average.

Delbaeth's posted results, on the other hand, indicate that depending on the resist, it is often a lot less per point than Ngreth stated.

I am confident all points of a given resist are handled by one resist check. The distribution is inconsistent with independent tests of the individual points. Were they handled that way a two point test would show the same value per point of elemental damage as a one point test. There would be a centeral peak if the resist rate is low enough and all distributions would show a sharp tail off between some elemental points landing and all. The observed distribution for 2 is about equal numbers of one and two point hits while the distribution for 3 has more hits for full than either 1 or 2 point partials.

I could possibly arrange for a 5 point disease test by moving augs but I think this is already adequately tested in the 2 and 3 point cases.

I wouldn't be surprised if something close to 66% were possible with a weapon having 10 or more elemental damage. That number may be the expected value of a DD spell on a target with 15 to 30 resist as Ngreth posts. With larger numbers the truncations would play a smaller role. For 10 corruption resist in one lump I do think the overall value is close to 5 damage or 50% of the elemental number. Most often we see elemental damage as a single point, as a way for developers to add 1/2 a point of damage to a weapon but the truncations applied in the resist system cut its value in half again.

To the original poster: It is always better to have 78 damage than 67+11 corrupt. I would count that 11 corrupt as worth 5 1/2 points of regular damage. Corruption lands relatively well as few NPCs have large resistance to it. As elemental damage goes this is the best case, 11 points in one place which takes truncations out of the picture and corruption resist type which the mobs don't have in abundance.

It is not a per point check. It is a per hit check.

BUT... it can give "partial" damage per hit, depending on the resist roll, and that is how the 66% (on the 30 resist) comes out.

More... (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=151832&post_id=2215721#2215721)